Revenge Of The Late Night Sirens

The snow is still around.Out of a deep sleep, the sound pierced my ears.  Not yet fully awake, I walked to the window and opened the curtains.  I was aware of only two things:  it was about 1 o’clock in the morning, and there was a noise.

After staring for a few minutes, I became aware of two more things:  the noise really hurt my ears, and the pain was the reason I wasn’t warm in my bed.

I puttered around my apartment for a few minutes, my brain trying to wake up and understand what was going on.  It did wake up, but it didn’t really understand what went on.

It became obvious that the noise was loudest in my bedroom.  My living room is on the same side of the building (with bigger windows), but it was significantly quieter. 

After what seemed like 30 minutes, the noise stopped.

Fridays are one of my most difficult days, so this Thursday night symphony didn’t help.  I trudged through my day zombie-like, and stole a few minutes of sleep after school.

A few minutes after midnight on Friday night, I was watching a movie in my bedroom.  Suddenly and without warning, the siren started again.  I wasn’t desperate for sleep, and my brain was still awake, so I decided to figure out where the sound was coming from.

It was loudest in my room, again, but that doesn’t mean it was quiet anywhere in my apartment.  I stood in my window, with my hands covering my ears, for seven minutes while I waited for it to stop.  Finally, it did.

People walking down the street yelled at it (I think alcohol helped this decision), cars seemed to avoid it, and absolutely no one came to check it out.

If I was in America (or any country where I could speak the language), I would have probably called the police.  Any alarm that’s that loud should be investigated by someone.  Security systems at most banks and electronic stores are probably more discreet.

Instead, I stood and watched.  Nothing happened.

The next day, I discovered that there’s an alarm built into the wall right beneath my window.  I assume it’s for the shop beneath me, but I don’t know why it went off.  I really don’t know why it went off two nights in a row.  The only thing I do know is that I don’t like it.

Usually when an alarm wakes me in the middle of the night, I at least get the pleasure of watching someone drive their car at impossible speeds to turn it off.  This time, nothing.


Hungarian word of the day:


Pronounced “tease”.  It means ten.  Every morning, I buy a cup of coffee from machine at my school.  For some unknown reason, there has been ten Forints (Hungarian currency) in the change return place every day for the past week.  This will probably jinx it, though, so I won’t expect any tomorrow morning.